Capital Markets l Corporate l Mergers and Acquisitions
DL +603 2055 3804
LEONG WEI CHUNG
Wei Chung’s expertise is in the practice area of corporate and securities law where he is involved in advising on capital market transactions and related corporate finance work, cross border mergers and acquisitions as well as general corporate advisory works. He was also actively involved in corporate and commercial litigation in his early years of practice.
EXPERIENCE AND CREDENTIALS
Wei Chung was admitted to the Malaysian Bar in 2015 and started his legal career in a corporate legal firm in 2016 where he was exposed to numerous corporate dealings and advisory works. Before joining Chooi & Company, Wei Chung was a Legal Counsel between 2021 and 2023 assisting one of the largest investment banks in the region in, amongst others, equity capital markets, and equity and commodity derivatives transactions.
During his years of professional practice, he has extensive experience in advising both local and foreign clients in corporate exercises and transactions including initial public offerings in Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Cambodia, mergers and acquisitions transactions, takeovers and privatisations, legal due diligence exercises, and general corporate advisory works.
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific highlighted that Wei Chung is one of the key lawyers in the area of Capital Markets. His recent notable experience, amongst others, is as follows:
- an initial public offering undertaken by a group of companies (local and foreign) on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia raising approximately RM1 billion;
- an initial public offering undertaken by a group of companies on the ACE Market of Bursa Malaysia raising approximately RM72 million;
- an initial public offering undertaken by a group of companies (local and foreign) on the Catalist Board of Singapore Exchange (SGX) raising approximately SGD10 million;
- an acquisition by a wholly-owned subsidiary of a Malaysian public listed company of approximately 25% equity interest in a group of local companies for a consideration of approximately RM143 million followed by a mandatory take-over transaction;
- an acquisition by a wholly-owned subsidiary of a Malaysian public listed company of the entire equity interest in a group of local companies for a consideration of RM80 million; and
- a privatisation corporate exercise by way of capital reduction and repayment pursuant to Section 116 of the Companies Act 2016 undertaken by a Malaysian public listed company.
Wei Chung graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from the University of London in 2013. He obtained the Malaysian Certificate in Legal Practice in 2014 and was admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2015.